Wednesday 5 October 2011

iPhone5 - Why All The Surprises?

Yesterday was an exciting day - Tim Cook, now CEO for the World's richest brand, took to the stage to announce all the great things and gadgets Apple have been working on over the last 12months. Most were widely expecting the announcement of the iPhone5, but as we all now know, that didn't happen.

I've read blogs from others that it was disappointing, no one really cared about the other Apple products, it was afterall the iPhone5 they all wanted. But has anyone thought about the history of Apple since the iPhone 3G came out? Has anyone considered the Worlds richest brand went through an internal re-structuring process to replace an inspirational and truly thought leading CEO, Steve Jobs with Tim Cook?
One thing is for certain though, we can't ignore the sentiment from the public - that knocked 5% off the value of Apple yesterday due to NOT releasing a new iPhone5.

I watched an Apple video a few days back when they were talking about iOS and how iOS is what makes the mobile Apple devices as fantastic as they are today. What is the point to release a new iPhone if the OS is not capable of fully exploiting it yet?
iOS 5 is being released on 12th October - I'm excited! This should make the already great iPhone4 even better - but think back to when the iPhone 3G became the 3GS, a similar pattern occurred. Think about what happened when the iPhone4 was released and how everyone went crazy over how revolutionising it was - if you kind of forget the really bad launch with 'Antennagate'. Now think about just how impressive the iPhone5 could be if it is going to be such a marked improvement over the 4S as the 4 was to the 3GS.

Will I upgrade? I don't know. I like recording my children when we play as a family - will 1080p make me think it's worth the upgrade? Unlikely. Do I care about the 8MP camera when I take pretty good shots with my 5MP in the iPhone4? Not really. Do I care about the increased memory and A5 chip? Maybe; I really fancy using AirPlay mirroring through my Apple TV2. I guess it depends just how well it all takes off.

No comments:

Post a Comment